A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Some questions about the Pukhan Clan in Korea...
1. Do you remember how you came up with the name of Pukhan for the clan? I'm aware of the real life Pukhan Mountain near Seoul. If you named the clan after the mountain, how did you hear of the mountain? It's known in Korea, but it's not the most famous or tallest mountain in the country. The South is 70% mountains.
2. I noted this on Pukhan's (the area) page on GargWiki, but do you know that "Pukhan" means North Korea? That's what the South calls the North. "Puk" (or "buk", it's a "b" sound) means "north". "Han" means "Korea". If I told Koreans that I want to visit Pukhan without adding "mountain", they would think I wanted to visit the nation of North Korea. The mountain was named Pukhan because it's located near the northern tributary of the Han River.
1. I honestly don't remember. I DO recall that I researched it and that it seemed right to me, but beyond that...
2. I had this vague memory that it's right on or near the border between North and South. Am I misremembering?
I'm a big fan. I work in South Korea teaching English and I thought you would be interested in your creations' progress over here.
I did some research on the internet and Gargoyles: The Movie and some season 1 episodes were released on VHS over here. What a collector's item those would be? The official translated name of the show is "Champion Goliath", but happily enough online Korean fans just call it "Gargoyles."
Channel surfing, I did see The Spectacular Spider-Man on the cartoon channel, 5:30, Saturday morning. That's actually a good time, since Korean children have Saturday school and 5:30am would be just the right time they're waking up.
Keep up the good work and hopefully I'll see Young Justice in Korea.
Very cool! Thanks, Richard.
When you were creating the other clans how did you decide which locations would have still have Gargoyle Clans over the others?
Some of it was about logic (like the clan on New Olympus). Some about story ideas we had (like M.I.A.). Some about a desire for geographic distribution (like the Mayan clan in Guatemala). Sometimes it just felt right, like the notion that there would eventually be a clan in Paris at Notre Dame, site of some of the most famous Gargoyles in the world. Sometimes it was as silly as ... hey, they're animating the series in Japan and Korea, so let's put clans there. At some point later on, the ideas became more fixed and were explored (at least in my head) in much more detail.
Thiss ones a question about the Pukhan clan. How much human cantact/enflunce will they have. will it be at the Guatamalen levle or the Ishimaru level?
In between, probably.
Almost every gargoyle clan we've meet in the show or that you've us about protects something. The Guatemalan clan protects the rain forest. The Loch Ness clan protects the Loch Ness Monster, the Manhattan, London and Ishimura clan naturally protects New York City, London and Ishimura respectively. And the Avalon clan protects Avalon while the Labyrinth clan presently protect the homeless of New York.
1. So what does the New Olympus clan protect? Mount Thanatos? The whole of New Olympus? Or have they abandoned their duty much like the London clan when they lost Griff(since you did say they were isolationists)?
2.What does the Pukhan and Xanadu clans protect?
3.What exactly do New Camelot and New Wyvern clans protect?
4.What abou the Queen Florence Island Clan(after they've been freed from their stasis)?
5.What about the Notre Dame Clan?
1. I think they have become too insular. It's something I would have made an issue of, given the chance.
2. Pukhan Clan is more interested in protecting their concept of justice. Xanadu Clan protects the endangered Gargoyle Beast species.
3. New Wyvern is very traditionalist. So they protect Wyvern and it's surroundings. By contrast, New Camelot is very internationalist.
4 & 5. Haven't gotten that far in my thinking yet, but at the least they'll protect the Island and Paris, respectively.
How many gargoyle clans were there when the show was ended?
Do any of the other Avalon gargoyles join Angelia in the real world?
1. In 1996, the following clans were extant (although some were far from healthy in numbers):
2. Eventually, others would visit. But I don't immediately see anyone else taking up permanent residence outside Avalon.
I think I just found the myth/legend (or at least one of the myth/legends) that inspired the Pukhan clan. http://www.csun.edu/~hcedu004/goblin.html
It's a little long to post here.
But am I even close to being right about the legend?
Well, there's no way I can confirm or deny this. Because the Korean clan was Frank Paur's idea (including the love of justice). I can't answer what did or didn't inspire him specifically.
Having read the linked fable, the goblins in it don't seem particularly gargoylean to me. But if one extrapolates the origins of the fable. And think in more Gargoylean terms, I'm sure we could find common ground.
What was this legend that Frank Paur told you about that inspired you to have the Korean Clan?
Was Pukhan's history (it use to be a fortress that defended Seoul)and proximity to Seoul the reason you chose to put a clan there?
I'm not confirming or denying anything about this now.
Why do the Korean clan have such an obession with justice? Is it part of the legends and myths that the Korean clan was based on?
Are you asking within the universe of the show or why I/we chose to go that route?