A Station Eight Fan Web Site
: Displaying all 19 records. :
Some questions about the Pukhan Clan in Korea...
1. Do you remember how you came up with the name of Pukhan for the clan? I'm aware of the real life Pukhan Mountain near Seoul. If you named the clan after the mountain, how did you hear of the mountain? It's known in Korea, but it's not the most famous or tallest mountain in the country. The South is 70% mountains.
2. I noted this on Pukhan's (the area) page on GargWiki, but do you know that "Pukhan" means North Korea? That's what the South calls the North. "Puk" (or "buk", it's a "b" sound) means "north". "Han" means "Korea". If I told Koreans that I want to visit Pukhan without adding "mountain", they would think I wanted to visit the nation of North Korea. The mountain was named Pukhan because it's located near the northern tributary of the Han River.
1. I honestly don't remember. I DO recall that I researched it and that it seemed right to me, but beyond that...
2. I had this vague memory that it's right on or near the border between North and South. Am I misremembering?
I'm a big fan. I work in South Korea teaching English and I thought you would be interested in your creations' progress over here.
I did some research on the internet and Gargoyles: The Movie and some season 1 episodes were released on VHS over here. What a collector's item those would be? The official translated name of the show is "Champion Goliath", but happily enough online Korean fans just call it "Gargoyles."
Channel surfing, I did see The Spectacular Spider-Man on the cartoon channel, 5:30, Saturday morning. That's actually a good time, since Korean children have Saturday school and 5:30am would be just the right time they're waking up.
Keep up the good work and hopefully I'll see Young Justice in Korea.
Very cool! Thanks, Richard.
When you were creating the other clans how did you decide which locations would have still have Gargoyle Clans over the others?
Some of it was about logic (like the clan on New Olympus). Some about story ideas we had (like M.I.A.). Some about a desire for geographic distribution (like the Mayan clan in Guatemala). Sometimes it just felt right, like the notion that there would eventually be a clan in Paris at Notre Dame, site of some of the most famous Gargoyles in the world. Sometimes it was as silly as ... hey, they're animating the series in Japan and Korea, so let's put clans there. At some point later on, the ideas became more fixed and were explored (at least in my head) in much more detail.
Thiss ones a question about the Pukhan clan. How much human cantact/enflunce will they have. will it be at the Guatamalen levle or the Ishimaru level?
In between, probably.
Almost every gargoyle clan we've meet in the show or that you've us about protects something. The Guatemalan clan protects the rain forest. The Loch Ness clan protects the Loch Ness Monster, the Manhattan, London and Ishimura clan naturally protects New York City, London and Ishimura respectively. And the Avalon clan protects Avalon while the Labyrinth clan presently protect the homeless of New York.
1. So what does the New Olympus clan protect? Mount Thanatos? The whole of New Olympus? Or have they abandoned their duty much like the London clan when they lost Griff(since you did say they were isolationists)?
2.What does the Pukhan and Xanadu clans protect?
3.What exactly do New Camelot and New Wyvern clans protect?
4.What abou the Queen Florence Island Clan(after they've been freed from their stasis)?
5.What about the Notre Dame Clan?
1. I think they have become too insular. It's something I would have made an issue of, given the chance.
2. Pukhan Clan is more interested in protecting their concept of justice. Xanadu Clan protects the endangered Gargoyle Beast species.
3. New Wyvern is very traditionalist. So they protect Wyvern and it's surroundings. By contrast, New Camelot is very internationalist.
4 & 5. Haven't gotten that far in my thinking yet, but at the least they'll protect the Island and Paris, respectively.
How many gargoyle clans were there when the show was ended?
Do any of the other Avalon gargoyles join Angelia in the real world?
1. In 1996, the following clans were extant (although some were far from healthy in numbers):
2. Eventually, others would visit. But I don't immediately see anyone else taking up permanent residence outside Avalon.
I think I just found the myth/legend (or at least one of the myth/legends) that inspired the Pukhan clan. http://www.csun.edu/~hcedu004/goblin.html
It's a little long to post here.
But am I even close to being right about the legend?
Well, there's no way I can confirm or deny this. Because the Korean clan was Frank Paur's idea (including the love of justice). I can't answer what did or didn't inspire him specifically.
Having read the linked fable, the goblins in it don't seem particularly gargoylean to me. But if one extrapolates the origins of the fable. And think in more Gargoylean terms, I'm sure we could find common ground.
What was this legend that Frank Paur told you about that inspired you to have the Korean Clan?
Was Pukhan's history (it use to be a fortress that defended Seoul)and proximity to Seoul the reason you chose to put a clan there?
I'm not confirming or denying anything about this now.
Why do the Korean clan have such an obession with justice? Is it part of the legends and myths that the Korean clan was based on?
Are you asking within the universe of the show or why I/we chose to go that route?
How do the Loch Ness and Pukhan gargoyles absorb sunlight when they live in caves?
Perhaps they absorb thermal energy. Perhaps they don't sleep in the caves. Perhaps I should stop answering questions tonight, cuz I'm clearly in a bad mood.
When did you decide there were gargoyles living in New Olympus and Loch Ness?
When did you decide there were gargoyles in Xanadu and Pukhan?
When did you decide that there was going to be a gargoyle clan in New Camelot?
When did you decide that Paris, Queen Florence Island and Wyvern were the sites of future clans?
Years ago. By 1996 at the latest.
Years ago. By 1995 at the latest.
Years ago. By 1996 at the latest.
Years ago. By 1996 at the latest.
Okay..I have to ask because I'm really curious. <:)
Greg, why did you choose Pukhan in Korea? Is it because of its location geographically (being at the southern tip of the Korean penninsuula), or maybe because of people population? Or because the the event during the Korean war that took place there? Or maybe just because it sounded cool? ^_^;;
Not saying now.
We now know what the gargoyles in the the Loch Ness and Chinese clans look like care to tell us what the gargoyles in the Korean and New Olympus clans look like?
And by the way, you don't know what you think you know. You just have a better idea.
As I'm now looking through the notes I took during the "Research for Writers" panel at the con, I remember Reaves and the others mentioning a large board where you guys would pin up index cards with different story ideas, and then ask who wanted to write the episode for each card. They mentioned that you had cards for another Central/South America story, another Africa story, and one about the Wendigo monster.
1) Would you kindly divulge anything about these poor stories that never got made into episodes?
2) Do you still have these idea cards?
2. I have all the idea cards. But some of them were nothing more than that. A notion. A thought. A word. So...
1. There aren't any STORIES extant with the exception of the Himalayas story, as I wrote that for the Marvel Gargoyles Comic Book, which got cancelled before the story could be published. The others are in varying degrees of existence in my head depending on how much brain time I've devoted to them. There's a bit more on the Korea story, as I've given thought to the Pukhan clan. But not much. Etc.
1. in 1996, does the Loch Ness clan use names?
2. does the New Olympus clan?
3. does the Pukhan clan?
4. does the Xanadu clan?
I have intentionally not made decisions about this at this time.
What do the majority of gargoyles in Pukhan look like?
What legends inspired you to put a clan there?
Korean legends related to me by Frank Paur.
1.What peculiar features do the gargoyles in New Olympus have? By peculiar I mean by such features as the London clan with its animal heads and feathery wings and the Guatemalan clan with Zafiro and his more serpentine features.
2.What peculiar features do the gargoyles in Pukhan have?
3.What peculiar features do hte gargoyles in Xanadu have?
4.Do the gargoyles in Loch Ness have any peculiar features?
1. I'm not going to character design them here in writing.
4. I suppose.