A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Dear Mr Weisman,
Regarding Timedancer and The Dark Ages, given the time, would you plan to turn both of those into animated shows, or do you feel they are best left as part of the written world?
Given the opportunity, I'd gladly do either as animated series.
In "M.I.A.", mention is made about gargoyles in WWII being chalked up to "gremlins and the like." So the question is, were there really gremlins out there? If so, where do they fall in terms of the "three races?"
There's more to this Gremlin question. But you'll have to wait for TimeDancer to learn it.
Would Brooklyn visit any time beyond the scope of 2198? If he goes back at least as far as Feudal Japan then it makes sense he'd go forward a similar distance. But there again, plotting REALLY far ahead must be difficult. If he doesn't, will there be an in-universe reason?
He goes into the future and into the past. I don't need reasons beyond that.
Some days ago, i poste that question:
"Are there other girls, then Katana, in Brooklyns timedance that are REALLY close to him? And if yes, how manny?"
You awnser:"Not sure what you mean."
Well, I mean, that he fall in love with other girls during his timedance. Or, maybe, he was verry close to a merryage with another girl, and then the Gate take Brooklyn away. Things like that.
Hope, You understand now.
Not "marriage" close if that's what you mean by "merryage", but I'm not saying he didn't have other romances.
Quick! We must fill the queue - Greg's caught up! :-)
Anyway, just a nitpick: You said "Odysseus traveled for twenty years."
Well, he was away from home for twenty years. But ten of these years he had been fighting at Troy. His return took him a further ten years, seven of which he spent as a virtual prisoner in Callisto's island.
So, one could say that he spent only *three* years travelling, though it was twenty years that he spent away from home.
If one's nitpicking, anyway. :-)
That's what I meant.
I actually DID know that.
And Brooklyn may stay in one place, fighting or whatever for various lengths of time in various periods of time. But when all is said and done, he'll be twenty years older when he gets back.
1) If they're still alive, where do Mary and Finella live at the end of "The Journey"?
2) Do Mary and Finella ever try to get in contact with the Manhattan clan?
3a) Will Mary ever see Tom again? b) Will she meet "the eggs"?
4a) Will Finella find a new love? b) If so, is it anyone we know?
1. Not saying.
2. Not saying.
3. Not saying. Not saying.
4. Not saying. Not saying.
1a) Are/were there any living phoenixes in the Gargoyles Universe? b) If so, were/are they a separate species, or are they Children of Oberon or a form of gargoyle?
2a) Did the forging of the Phoenix Gate have anything to do with (an) actual phoenix(es)? b) If so, was whatever involvement they/it had, voluntary?
3a) Was Princess Katharine's mother ever aware of the powers of the Gate? b) ...was the Normand ambassador? c) Was Malcolm ever aware that he was going to receive the Gate?
4a) When the Gate was broken in half, did it become *completely* nonfunctional, or did some residual magic remain? b) When it was whole again, was it as good as new?
5) What is the immediate source of the magic/energy that the Gate draws on?
6a) Why is the incantation for an Avalonian magical artifact in Latin? b) Is that particular incantation necessary, or can the Gate be activated some other way?
b. Not saying.
2a. Maybe. If the Gate was forged. Which it wasn't.
c. He was informed after it was stolen.
5. Ambient time stream need. (Generally measured in Farquars.)
6a. Necessary for a human to harness it.
b. When free, the gate travels about on its own, as Brooklyn learns to his chagrin.
Here is some Timedancer stuff:
1.:Are there other girls, then Katana, in Brooklyns timedance that are REALLY close to him? And if yes, how manny?
2.:How old is he when he returned to his clan?
3.:IF there is an child of Elisa and Goliath, did Brooklyn met him/her in his journeys?
4.:Did he met himself in the future(like Demona in "Vows")?
1. Not sure what you mean.
2. Biologically about 40.
3. Not saying.
4. Not saying.
1a) You said that Brooklyn would travel to the "Future Tense/2158/?" era both before and after he met Katana. From the perspective of those living during this future period, did Brooklyn's first visit (when he was alone) happen *after* he had already appeared with his family? b) If so, did the people during that time reveal (perhaps accidentally) to Brooklyn that he was going to have a family?
2) You said that Brooklyn keeps "chasing" after the Gate because he wants to get home. Although I'd understand why this would be important to him when he's alone and memories of home are still fresh on his mind, I would think that after 40 years and having the comfort of his family, getting home wouldn't be as critical to him. Am I wrong, or does Brooklyn find a new reason to be motivated to return home to the present?
1. I'm not answering that now.
2. Odysseus traveled for twenty years. Brooklyn for 40. (But he was only awake for 20.) Sometimes we reason not the need.
Uh... something went strange and I'm posting this question for a second time. I've reloaded the new questions page in a separate window a couple of times and it hasn't appeared, but just in case it does appear twice, sorry. Anyway:
When you say that you'll keep track of time for Brooklyn, do you mean that you'll make it clear to the characters in the universe that he's been gone 40 years? Or will you communicate to the viewer that 40 years has passed for Brooklyn in another way?
Would Katana, Tachi, Nashville and Fu-dog be the only companions that Brooklyn would have on his time-dancing journey (I mean actually crossing between times)?
No. They're just the ones he came home with.
Does Brooklyn meet all the rest of the clans (apart from the six we saw in the original show) during his timedancing?
You just revealed that the Xanadu clan is the other contemporary clan. You also previously mentioned that Brooklyn would find Fu-Dog in China during his travels. Which makes me wonder.....
1a) Does the Gate bring Brooklyn to present-day (or at least what would be the present relative to the "Gargoyles" show time-line) China? b) If not the present, around which period would it be (ancient, medieval, future, etc), on each (if there's more than one) of the occassions Brook would travel to China?
2a) Is Xanadu the only Chinese location the Gate brings Brook to? (assuming it even takes him to Xanadu). 2b) Does Brooklyn find Fu-dog in Xanadu, or in another Chinese clan?
3a) Around what age would Fu-dog be when Brook first finds him? (I think you said he wasn't a puppy) b) Did Fu-dog leave a mate or any progeny behind when he left with Brooklyn?
4) Do the Ishimura, Korea, and Xanadu clans know about each other?
5) In the contest, you didn't give credit for listing Beijing as the home of the Xanadu clan, even though that's where Kublai Khan had his capital--which is the place some believe Coleridge's "Xanadu" referred to. So my question is--where (approximately) in China *is* Xanadu?
6) Dragons play a big role in Chinese (and many other) mythologies. Are these legends simply based on gargoyles and their beasts--who may resemble dragons, on fey who chose to assume dragon form, or on a separate species all-together?
1b. Maybe all of the above. Or not.
2a. Forty years is a long dance. I don't pretend to have all forty years plotted out exactly.
3a. I said I never said he was a puppy.
3b. Can't say. Or won't.
5. Not in Beijing.
6. Greg has left the building.
In a previous post, I had asked, "After Brooklyn is done with the gate in Timedancer, it will return to its point of origin in the past (the paradox). Out of curiosity, how long before the Gate found its way into Elena's dowry did the Gate "first" appear?"
You responded, "How do I define 'how long' with the Gate?" So let me try to rephrase that....
After the Gate returns Brooklyn to his time of origin, five minutes after leaving, what year does the Gate travel to next?
And who is the first to find the Gate after it appears in that year?
I don't know. Haven't worked that out at this time.
Would any of the spinoffs featured the Pack (or at least members of the Pack) as villains?
Thank you for your time.
Sure. Most. Let's see...
Gargoyles 2158 (revised)
And I wouldn't be surprised if we also saw them in
But I would be surprised if they showed up in
Is Brooklyn aware how long he timedances for? I mean, does he have any way to keep track of the years?
But I'll keep track for him.
Just a quick question for ya, 'cause I think the first on this particular subject got lost or cut out.
Anyway, I was wondering why did Brooklyn become the Time Dancer? I don't remember reading the inspiration for it. Brooklyn's a cool character and all, but I guess I just don't see him doing that sort of thing. Yet, at the same time he almost needs it. But it's sad too. It makes me feel bad for him.
But that also makes me wonder about Goliath. I started getting the impression that maybe Goliath would learn to use magic after using the Eye. Don't ask me why though. So, it made me wonder, was there anything more that Goliath would do? Is there a particular destiny he has like Brooklyn? Or is his purpose just to lead the clan?
Also, would his and Brooklyn's paths ever seem to cross during Brooklyn's Time Dancing? And, I don't understand why the clan would be disappointed in him for his Time Dancing. What he have done or not done to make them disappointed in him?
I think that's all for now. Except, in all honesty, Brooklyn's design is the most interesting and unigue among all of the gargoyles. But he still doesn't top Goliath. At least not too me. ^_^
Goliath and sorcery don't mix well.
Goliath will have plenty to do, believe me. He has as much or as little a destiny as any of our characters, including Brooklyn.
I'm not sure what point your trying to make here.
I don't know what you mean when you say the clan would be disappointed in Brooklyn for TimeDancing. If you think you're quoting me, you MUST be mis-quoting me, or misunderstood me or something.
1. Does modern-day Clan Ishimura have any knowledge whatsoever (perhaps in the form of documentation or maybe oral tradition) of Brooklyn's visit centuries earlier?
2. How do Brooklyn's and Katana's children interact with one another? Do they get along, or do their parents have to send them "to the rookery" on occasion? Which one (if any) is the troublemaker? :)
3. I am curious as to how "assimilated" Katana will be by the time her journey with Brooklyn ends. For instance, will she view her offspring as her own, or as children of the entire clan?
4. After his travels, do you think Brooklyn could pass any high school or college history exam? Multiple choice, of course. In other words, will his experiences make him a history expert?
5. How much exposure will Katana and the youngsters have to technology before the journey ends? Would they be able to recognize a computer? Better yet, would they understand the Internet?
6. Have you decided exactly how/when Brooklyn receives his permanent injury?
7. About how often would Brooklyn find other gargoyles on his journey through time? I would suspect it to be a rare occurrence.
8. How do you imagine the TimeDancer theme song? What kind of mood? Any narration? Have you given it any thought yet?
1. Can't answer that now.
2. They generally get along, but not all the time.
3. By necessity she and Brooklyn will regard these children as their own. Once they get back in the bosom of the clan, they will be happy to share parental responsibility. But nothing can change the bond formed over years of travel and adventure. But I wouldn't call this "assimilation". This, for once, has less to do with gargoyles being influenced by human customs and more to do with the rigors of TimeDancing.
4. True (if scattered and sporadic) history, yes. Not necessarily the stuff in history books that would win him straight As.
5. I don't know about the Internet specifically, but they'll be seeing all sorts of computers. They'll be dancing into the future as well as the past. I think.
7. Like the Avalon Skiff, the Phoenix Gate seems to lend some purpose to the Dance. So perhaps more often than you'd think.
8. Nope. You're way ahead of me.
Previously on Ask Greg: I wrote, "Buenos Dias Mr.Weisman,
Here's another question guised in the form of question.
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most severe, How bad was Brooklyn's disfigurement(was that the word used?) after returning from his Dance in Time?
Thank you much. Gracias as it were. Xi Xi. Thanx. etc etc. Much appreciation. Gratitude flowing from pores."
You replied (your questions numbered)"
1>What forms are questions usually guised in?
1>In this forum statements. But usually in Confused looks.
2> My question sprouted from this previous Q&A "4) Does Brooklyn (or Katana) suffer permanent injuries from their traveling? By this I mean scars, loss of limb, and whatnot."
"4.Brooklyn does actually."
So, my question would be in that context and restated (but if you answered the original question as well I wouldn't not be pleased),"What was Brooklyn's permanent injury(/ies)?"
Sorry if this is a bit confuddled and befusing. Thanks much and much thanks.
Not saying now. But I do know.
1. Would Brooklyn have once again assumed leadership of the clan, as he did during Goliath's absence?
2. How does he (post-TimeDancing) feel about:
c. Tired of it.
1.What is the earliest period of brooklyn's timedancing
2. how does the illumanti know about the timedancing
3. did brooklyn meet duval in the past?
4.does brooklyn come in contact with any fae in the past
5. if yes to 4, are in human form, during that 1000 year leave of avalon period
6. if yes to 4 then who does he meet
7.does brooklyn meet the archmage
2. Who said they did?
3. Probably at some point.
6. Puck for sure. I'm not saying more now.
the gate was made on avalon...
1. who created it
2. the gate is lost by goliath and then to timedancer and then eventually it goes back to the beginning circle.so how does it fit.someone created it. the only way for this whole loop thing the gate travels in must end up with the gate being destroyed?????
1. Who said it was created?
2. How do you figure?
1. You mentioned that the enhanced Archmage would have appeared in "Timedancer", would that have been before he picked up his younger self?
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, why didn't he go to pick up his younger self directly?
1. Not saying.
2. Not saying.
Did the Ishimura clan right down about anything about Brooklyn and that he took of of there clan members as his mate?
I have Brooklyn questions.
1) Were there going to be conflicts between Goliath and Brooklyn (Second In Command).
2) Before he goes on his timedancing adventure will Brooklyn try a few more times to woo Angela.
3) Will Goliath consider turning over leadership of the clan to Brooklyn?
4) Will Katana join Brooklyn willingly or be dragged into the travel?
1. Occasionally. Nothing major.
4. Willingly sorta.