A Station Eight Fan Web Site
: Displaying all 4 records. :
I also have a few questions regarding Merlin.
1) You've said that he is capable of both mortal and Fae magic, but never both at the same time. So does he have a preferance, ie. one form of magic that he would use even if the other form could accomplish the same task?
2. Is either form easier for him (I know neither are "easy" per se), or come more naturally to him?
3a. Are the Scrolls of Merlin filled with mortal or Fae magic, or both?
3b. Are the Scrolls themselves considered Fae artifacts (like the Eye of Odin)?
4. In some legends Merlin's powers don't work well, or sontimes not at all, when over a large body of water - does this apply to Merlin in the Garg universe?
2. It's situational.
3a. Neither. They were protected by a magic spell, that's all. Otherwise, they're simply a history text.
4. No Spoilers.
In the Gargoyles universe, is 'Merlin' actually the birth name of the wizard Merlin, or is it a title or epithet given to him later?
It's his name. Though not his full name.
Hey, I've been following Ask Greg on and off since 2001. This is only my second post. Just wanted to say I appreciate you sustaining the fanbase.
1) Were halflings like Merlin or The New Olympians invited to go to Oberon's Gathering? I would think that Oberon's determination in attempting to bring Alex meant that The Gathering would not be limited to "full" fae. But I could be wrong. What's the truth, Greg?
1. Case-by-case. (But in general the New Olympians were not included.) Merlin wasn't there either.
Nine years ago (has it been that long?) there was an Arthurian survivors contest here at "Ask Greg". With the recent "Stone of Destiny" storyline in which Percival seems to have been split into Duval and Peredur, I'm wondering if what change have occurred on the list of Arthurian survivors.
Just to refresh your memory (and for those who don't remember it at all), here's the list as of nine years ago:
1. King Arthur Pendragon. Slept under a spell in the Hollow Hill.
2. Merlin. Son of Oberon by a mortal woman. Imprisoned in the Crystal Cave.
3. The Lady of the Lake. One of the Oberati.
4. Sir Percival. The Fisher King. Mr. Duval. Founder of the Illuminati. Spends a lot of time in Castle Carbonek, a sort of mini-traveling-Avalon, where time passes differently. Also uses the Holy Grail to maintain his youth, though at a very real physical cost, due to his, shall we say, sins.
5. Lady Blanchefleur. Percival's wife. Queen of Castle Carbonek. She lives there and uses the Grail. The only cost being her estrangement from Percival.
6. Morgana le Fay. A changling in the old-fashioned sense.
7. Nimue. A sorceress with connections to Merlin, the Oberati and Morgana. (Think about it.)
8. The Green Knight. An Oberati.
So what, if anything, has changed in the past decade? Are there still only eight survivors? If we replace "Percival" with "Peredur" and take out the reference to Mr Duval is the list still accurate?
(By the way, I loved both Gargoyles: Clan-Building and Bad Guys: Redemption, and I'm looking forward to more in the future!)