A Station Eight Fan Web Site
My name is Jake Cannon and I'm working on an oral history podcast about Paul Germain and Joe Ansolabehere focusing on One Saturday Morning, using the participants real voices. For the podcast, I've already spoken with Jymn Magon, Bill Kopp, and Tad Stones from Disney Afternoon.
I was wondering if you would be interested in being interviewed since your show is the largest break from the Disney style and universe.
I could do a quick skype or phone interview if you're available.
Other guests interviewed:
I don't really know Paul or Joe, and didn't really work on One Saturday Morning. I'm enough of a publicity whore to enjoy doing podcasts, but it doesn't seem like I'd have anything to contribute to this particular one.
I read somewhere that the reason Impulse is friends with Blue Beetle, despite everything Blue has done in the future, is because he has Stockholm's syndrome. How true is this?
I don't even understand how that applies.
of All of the Villains in 'Gargoyles', Jackal and Hyena are my #1 Favorites, So here's 1 Question I do have about them
Who's the EVIL Twin? Or Better rephrase since They're Both Evil, Which Twin has Always been more Evil than the other?
Depends on what you consider "more Evil". Do you think an uncontrollable psychopath like Hyena is more evil or a devious sociopath like Jackal?
Hello Mr. Weisman, here are some 3 Questions I Have about Margot Yale, the Only Character from 'Gargoyles' that I Honestly Really Don't like, only Because I think she's Mean! (No offense) And For the 3rd Question, I know you Don't like 'The Goliath Chronicles' season, and if it makes you feel better I Don't like it Either, only because I find the Constant Hatred the Gargoyles have to face upsetting, but it's just a Small comparison question if you don't mind and you don't have to give a big answer to it if you don't want to
1. If Margot Yale Hates the Gargoyles So Much, Why doesn't she Want them Exterminated at once like the Quarrymen and Every one with their point of view does, Or Why doesn't she join the Quarrymen?
2. Does Margot have an opinion about the Quarrymen?
3. Would you say that Margot's Anti Gargoyle behavior in the 'Goliath Chronicles' as seen in the episodes 'The Journey', 'Justice for all', and 'Angels in the night', would be No different than in the 'Gargoyles' Comics?
1. I don't think she perceives her feelings as hate. More like fear. Like she'd fear a bear that was running loose in Manhattan. If the bear can be tranquilized and sent to a zoo, fine.
2. I don't think she's in favor of any vigilante group.
3. I've only ever seen the last twelve episodes of the Goliath Chronicles once each, and that was over twenty years ago. I don't remember them well enough to respond. As for "The Journey," I adapted my version of that into the comics, and consider the comics version canon, as opposed to the television episode. So I can only say the Margot Yale in the comics is the version I prefer.
1. How could Nightwing afford to have an apartment of his own (as seen in issue #20)? Did his parents leave him money or does Bruce help him financially?
I'm sure his parents left him something, but I doubt it was very much. On the other hand, Bruce could have helped him invest it wisely. In fact, Dick has had a (relatively) generous allowance from Bruce, and most of that he invests wisely too. The notion that Bruce helps him financially while he's in college, is a given, however.
Did Marie Logan homeschool her son Garfield Logan?
May seem like a bit of a dumb question but how do you pronounce Mab? I've heard a couple different variations myself.
I'm no expert, but I pronounce it with a short a to rhyme with cab, dab, fab, gab, jab, lab, nab, tab.
Hello, in S1 Episode 23, Red Arrow gets in a fight with Sportsmaster, and despite having his bow broken he seems to do quite well, getting Sportsmaster in a hold before Klarion teleported them away. Was Sportsmaster holding back against Roy (cause he didn't wanna hurt the mole), or is Roy actually good enough to match Sportsmaster in hand to hand? Because it always seemed like Roy wasn't even as good as Cheshire in hand to hand, and he got wrecked by Batman, so just curious. It's not super important, but I like debating who would win type battles, and any extra info helps
I'm so fine with leaving that to one's interpretation.
In any given fight, the tables may turn. Sportsmaster may not have been super-motivated for the reasons you state above. Red Arrow might have been super-motivated for reasons he himself didn't fully comprehend. Or whatever.
I found a tumblr post that talks about great characters with the link below.
I also remembered you answered a question like that.
"I believe they exist as fully as possible. I create backstories for them, whether or not those backstories will be revealed on screen or on the page. I make them real to me."
So for the actual questions:
1. What do you think about the tumblr post? I think "compelling" and "fascinating" seem too subjective.
2. What exactly do you mean by "exist as fully as possible"? I'm guessing you want to give as much of an image of a character as you can, but I'm also sure that's the main task of any story.
3. You also said that you want to make the characters seem real to yourself, but how do you make them real to the viewer?
4. This one might be redundant, so it probably doesn't need to be answered. But just in case, how do you make characters and stories that the audience can enjoy?
5. I also know you've said that you write your passion, but how do you know it will appeal to others? It all sounds like being hopeful.
1. Perhaps. But so is "relatable" and "sympathetic". They're directions to head not a detailed map.
2. It's not the main task to make of any story to make EVERY character in the story fully realized. My feeling is - within reasonable parameters - that it SERVES the story to have fully realized characters, who have their own backstories and motives that are specific to them.
3. I cross my fingers that if it works for me, it'll work for a substantial portion of my audience.
4. I write what I like, and cross the above-mentioned fingers. The alternative is pointless. If I can't get passionate about my story, how can I possibly expect anyone else to?
5. That's all it is. Honestly. See above.
Each member team has at least two variations to their outfits, the dark stealth and snow stealth versions. Which version is your favourite? Classic, dark stealth or snow stealth? Are there other versions we haven't seen?
1. Love 'em all. Which is your favorite?
2. No spoilers.
Hello Mr. Weisman, let me just start by saying that Gargoyles is now My #1 favorite Disney Series, and I've gotten and read the first 6 issues of the Clan Building Comic books and the 4 first issues of the 'Bad Guys' Comic Books, and here are 2 questions that I do have
1. Do you have any general comment to all of the Fans out there Who make Fan Art and/or Write Fan Fictions about 'Gargoyles', or any cartoon show you created?
2. What general advice would you give to a Fan who writing a Fan Fiction about 'Gargoyles'?
1. Not sure what you're looking for. Um... Go for it!
2. I don't read any fanfiction to protect myself legally. So I'm hardly an expert with advice and the like. So... try to be true to the characters, I guess?
1) Why was Cletus Kasady incarcerated in Ravencroft? I mean, knowing him from the comics, it's not exactly hard to guess, but I figured I may as well ask.
2) Why, in your mind, is Flash Thompson such a big Spider-Man fan?
1. No spoilers.
2. Spidey is cool! Beyond that, I'll leave it to your interpretation.
In response to your statement, I meant that which New York congressional district is the Eyrie Building in?? Sorry for the confusion and don't worry if you don't have the answer. Thank you
I don't know. But it's on Central Park South, if that helps you figure it out.
Does he have it now?
Still haven't given it any real thought.
The good news for Lian is that her grandfather isn't particularly interested in her yet.
Is Lian Nguyen-Harper, Jade and Roy's daughter, named after Artemis?
We could see Artemis' second name, Lian, engraved at her tombstone in the episode "Satisfaction".
And so, what, you think it's just a coincidence?
Can you publically encourage people to buy the spectacular spider man blu Ray to help get the show back as well as sign petitions to bring back the show.
I am happy to encourage people to buy the BluRay, but unfortunately - and unlike YJ - simply making purchases and/or signing petitions doesn't solve the specific complicated contractual roadblock to bringing back the series.
SONY can no longer make animated Spider-Man series, since they gave those rights back to MARVEL.
MARVEL can't make the specific version of THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN without paying SONY to do it.
MARVEL (a division of DISNEY) isn't likely to pay someone else to do a cartoon based on their own (signature) character.
And, yes, SONY & MARVEL cooperated on the recent live-action SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING movie. But SONY paid MARVEL to produce that, not the other way around.
To be clear, this situation doesn't give me any pleasure. And I don't mean to rain on your hope parade. But I figure you'd prefer to know the facts.
I'm currently wrapping a rewatch of Gargoyles' canonical seasons and preparing to continue the Weisman-lovefest with a rewatch of Spectacular Spider-Man and a thought has occurred to me: Was Coyote's continued use of Xanatos' face, particularly in his 3.0 and 4.0 versions where that face is on a screen, consciously influence by the early Spider-Slayers? Specifically, the ones that usually had J. Jonah Jameson's mug projected on a screen as they fought.
My guess would be that it's a bit of happy coincidence, as the idea's not the most unique, but since you've proven no slouch on Spider-Man lore...
I don't think it was. I think the Coyote thing evolved out of what we did with him in his first appearance.
Thanks for taking the time to answer so many fan questions. I was a big W.I.T.C.H. fan when it was on the air and one thing that always confused me in season 2 was when Nerissa said that Caleb was created by her "entirely for that purpose" (of leading the rebellion.) Did she actually have some role in him becoming the leader of the rebellion and can she have possibly have known it before he was even born? Or was she just saying that to get in his head at that moment?
All of the above.
Hey, this might be more specific than you remember, but I was wondering, in S1 Episode 6, Aqualad gets snagged by Black Spider and pulled up into the tree, there's a scuffle, and Aqulaad gets sent flying from the tree into a van (a very impressive hit). Was it Black Spider who hit him like that, or was it Cheshire (who seemed to be with Black Spider, since she came out with him)? I understand if you don't remember, but I figured may as well ask
I don't remember. Sorry.
Dear Mr. Weisman,
I have some questions about Aquaman and the other Atlanteans of Young Justice.
I've read your previous responses to questions about Atlantean powers and you stated that Auqaman was "way stronger than your average Atlantean" and placed him in your GENERAL ranking of the Justice League by strength on the same level as Captain Atom and Martian Manhuner. You later stated that "off the top of your head" he was IN GENERAL stronger than Martian Manhuner and then, later still, that Martian Manhunter cannot lift a semi-truck but could "probably" lift a small car.
Again, as an avid reader of your site and SUPER FAN of your work I know you HATE to strength comparison questions and being asked to specify strength things. That is why I won't ask you for specifics or to compare, but it seems that, from what I've seen of your previous responses, that eventhou you don't keep weight limit SPECIFISCS in your mind, you do have a GENERAL idea of what the characters you write can lift. I won't ask for a list or anything I just want to know:
1. Can Aquaman lift a tank or semi-truck, or is he closer to small car? Maybe a pick-up truck?
I'm asking this question because you've said that your Young Justice characters of Universe-16 were back to their "original" power levels and I have read comics wherein Auqaman has thrown a tank at The Fisherman. I've also read older comics wherein he was basically the "Superboy" of the Justice League as far as strength and invulnerablity. Just looking for clarity.😀
2. While Auqagirl and Tempest were on the team did you they use a device to allow them to carry around water like Auqalad's waterbear "backpack sheeth" or was their level of scorcery and magic skill great enough that they didn't need anything?
3. Could they magically summon water to them for their spells or am I wrong in assuming that their or all Atlantean magic requires water?
I played Young Justice: Legacy and the Tempest DLC didn't seem to have any type of water apparatus. I'm asking you because you've stated that not ALL of the game was cannon.
4. In Uiverse-16 is Aquaman's super atlantean skin stronger enough to make him bulletproof or just bullet resistant?
5.This last question is about Wonder Woman. On the Young Justice website it lists invulnerability as one of her powers. I've always wondered, if she's invulnerable, why block bullets with her bracelets? Doesn't invulnerable and bulletproof go hand in hand? I mean, she can go "toe to toe" with super strong opponents like Devastation, but if someone shoots her in the head she dies? What's the deal? Any in universe explanation?
Those last three questions under number five are rhetorical.😮
1. I'm thinking a small car. But clearly my opinion is somewhat changeable. I would think that Captain Atom is potentially stronger than Aquaman. And if I said something different earlier, that's not how I feel now.
2. No spoilers.
3. It doesn't all require water.
5. I'm not sure what website you're referring to, but I have never thought of Wonder Woman as invulnerable for the exact reason you state: why bother with the bracelets, if the bullets would bounce off anyway?
What is your favorite animated series that you haven't worked on?
Oh, the list is semi-endless. Batman The Animated Series is up there. So is The Simpsons. Avatar. Jonny Quest. Space Ghost. The Herculoids. Etc.
Have got any plans to do any UK conventions this year? If so please come to MCM Manchester Comic Con. I've waited so long to meet you! :)
I'd LOVE to do a convention in the U.K. But I've never EVER been invited to one. If you want to see me at Manchester Comic Con, contact the convention and ask them to invite me.
Was Jade happy when she learned about Artemis (in the time when Paula was pregnant)? Did she was hoping to be a girl?
For now, I'll leave that to your imagination.
Where exactly is the "onscreen kiss" between Blue Beetle and Impulse? Because I've seen Endgame at least four times, and I've never seen it.
There is none. Why would you think there is?
Are there still gargoyles fan gatherings? And how do I get involved in it. I know it been along time, and it come out when I was born ., so I never got to be apart of any of it
I'm sorry. The last official Gathering of the Gargoyles was in 2009. Though in 2014 at CONvergence we had a reunion of sorts. Hoping to do something similar in 2019 for the 25th anniversary of the show. Keep an eye on ASK GREG. If we put something together, I'll announce it here.