A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Hi, Greg. I'm a big fan, particularly of what you did with The Spectacular Spider-Man (I'm really gonna miss Sally Avril). I'm loving Young Justice right now but I've become a little curious about a couple of things.
1) Do you have a specific age in mind for Icicle, Jr ?
2) Do you guys have a full Atlantean language/code developed, or is it just really nice sounding "gibberish" ?
3) I love the Green Arrow - Showcase short that you penned and I was wondering, do you think that there might ever be a possibility that you'd work on one of the full-length DC Universe movies? It would be especially awesome if you guys ever got the chance to do a YJ tie-in movie.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and good luck with Young Justice. Hopefully, my questions aren't too annoying.
2. It's Ancient Greek with allowances for the fact that Atlantis has been separated from Ancient Greece for thousands of years.
3. I'd love to. IT'S NOT UP TO ME.
Is the Green Arrow short in continuity with Young Justice since you were/are involved with both?
I was also involved with W.I.T.C.H., Starship Troopers, Gargoyles and the Spectacular Spider-Man, and none of those are in continuity with Young Justice.
Okay Wally. He always gets the rep as the clown and flirt, and in JL cartoon he was the not so smart one and of course the girls aren't very impressed by him. But Wally has a good heart and he isn't stupid and I would just love to see that an alpha girl could learn to care for him. The girls are eying Conner. Sure moody tall well built good looks. Teenagers.I would love to see the clown come up trumps for once. Be nice to see Conner like a girl who doesn't go for him at first sight. Yeah I am not a fan of that Miss Martian.Thank you for Artemis. I hope to see some more girls soon too.I really hope we see Zatanna and Wonder Girl.
And I hope to see more interaction with the older heads too.
And you like Black Canary I am reading. Figures. Though how do you feel about her an Green Arrow as a couple? Myself? I think she's too good for him.
It depends on how Green Arrow is written. This notion of him being a dog, who constantly sleeps around on Dinah is relatively new (to my old eyes, anyway). Sure, if you write him that way, he doesn't deserve her.
But I prefer the Green Arrow who simply had commitment issues, not infidelity issues.
I have two questions on Green Arrow in Young Justice:
1, I noticed that you went with the Green Arrow look with the hood from the Mike Grell series. I always liked that look . I also believe he was using a long bow. What made you decide on the hooded look?
2, I've recently read Green Arrow: The Long Bow Hunters and the first for issues of GA's first series. Have you read Mike Grell's GA comics and what did you think of them?
1. It looked cool and provided us with a nice contrast from Speedy's hat.
2. I didn't read them. I'm sure it sounds petty, but Grell's G.A. was the reason my Black Canary mini-series never went forward. So there seemed no upside to me reading them. If they were great, I'd be envious. If they were awful, I'd be frustrated. (Yes, I'm a heavily flawed individual, but at least I admit it.)
Why didn't Neal McDonough reprised his role as Green Arrow from that DC Showcase onto YJ? Was he unable to?
We felt Alan Tudyk was the right choice for the YJ version of GA. That's not meant as a slight to Neal, who did great work on the short. But we're very happy with Alan.
First off congrats on the new series...
Secondly, I would like to comment on the Green Arrow featurette... It was brilliant, it perfectly showed Green Arrow for what he is... Human (probably the most human of any costumed hero, no powers, not an expert martial artist, or worlds greatest detective, just a guy trying to make a difference) I sincerely thank you for your interpretation. If you were the writer on GA/BC it probably wouldnt have needed a reboot, you seem to really get him, and his relationship to Dinah.
Okay, first question... will the Shorts DVD in November have a longer version on it?
2) Are you personally a fan of either Green Arrow or Black Canary...?
3) How much experience do you have with Green Arrow and Black Canary?
4) I am looking forward to Young Justice, and from reports (here and on other sites)GA & BC seem to have somewhat prominent roles in the young teams mentoring process... Is it too early for you to confirm or deny these reports? If you can please do...
5) and finally, is there a possibility of a sequel to the Green Arrow featurette?
or you writing a featurette for another DC character for future Direct to video release?
Thank you for your time... and best of luck with the new series... me and my kids will be watching...
I think I've answered all these before AND recently, but briefly...
1. People keep asking me. I didn't know there were two versions.
2. Black Canary is probably my all-time favorite comic book character. Green Arrow's definitely in my top ten.
3. I wrote half of a never-published Black Canary mini-series in the mid-eighties. Both characters appear in Young Justice. And then there's this short.
4. I'll confirm this, because we've already stated that both are in the show. Green Arrow is a mentor to Artemis. Black Canary trains the Team.
5. Not up to me. But I'd love to do either or both.
Dear Greg Weisman,
I enjoyed the DC Showcase: Green Arrow short. I wanted to ask a few questions about it.
1) When Oliver Queen is calling Dinah Lance in traffic, the viewer can briefly see his call list -Dinah [Black Canary], Bruce [Batman], Clark [Superman], Wally [Flash], and Mort. Was it your idea to shout out Mort Weisinger, co-creator of Green Arrow?
2) I noticed a lot of green visually (such as in the baggage claim belts) and in dialogue (when Merlyn banters with Green Arrow about having him try to steal the limelight again), well I didn't have a question but just to say I admire that cleverness.
3) Was it intentional to reference Green Arrow's liberal ideology by giving him a hybrid car in the short or was it more to payoff an awesome line of dialogue when Green Arrow appears to save the day?
1. That must have come from the director or board artist. It wasn't in my script, so you'd have to ask one of them.
2. Thanks. That WAS intentional.
1) Why is Black Canary one of your favorite characters?
2) Which version of Black Canary is your favorite? The one from the old multiverse who moved from Earth-2 to Earth-1 or the new version who is the daughter of the original WW2 Black Canary?
1. There's no one reason. Her skills. Her personality. Her relationship to Ollie (when it's well-written). Her looks help too, of course. And I tend to favor female characters in general. I tend to find them more interesting to write. Etc.
2. They all work for me.
In the GA short that you wrote, was it deliberate on your part to show Ollie's lack of battle prowlness compared to the likes of Black Canary or Batman when he had so much trouble with the goons hired by Vertigo, had been previously said to be outdrawn by a second rater like Merlyn and was incapacitated by Vertigo. If so what was the reasoning behind it?
I feel weird answering this, as if I'm defending my work. But your "question" contains so much ill-concealed attitude that I might as well.
Merlyn is hardly a second-rater when it comes to archery. (And it's not like they fought hand-to-hand.) Merlyn TAUGHT Oliver. (There was a flashback to that effect in the original script that got cut for time.) And Vertigo has super-powers that caught Green Arrow off guard. Just as Black Canary catches Vertigo off-guard with HER super-powers. It's not like we see her fight Vertigo or anyone. And Batman's not even IN the short, so I don't know where that comes from. Comparing apples with apples, you don't know HOW either Black Canary or Batman would have done against the "goons" in this short.
Basically, we tried for a more realistic take on hand-to-hand combat in this particular piece. (Which is it's own entity and shouldn't be grouped in with any previous depiction of G.A. or B.C.... let alone Bats.) An injured Green Arrow was fighting a big guy at close quarters, while handicapped by having to protect Perdita. Green Arrow has skills, but he's better at long distance fighting for obvious reasons than close in. So, yeah, I DO think that either Batman or Black Canary would have done a bit better in a similar situation, but that's not meant to imply ANY "lack of battle prowness" on Ollie's part.
Is the DC showcase on Green Arrow set in Star City?