A Station Eight Fan Web Site
I have some questions about Star Wars Rebels.
1. Can you go through the process of making a complete episode of Star Wars Rebels?
2. What was your role while working on the show?
3. How long did it take to complete a whole episode?
4. Did you make any voice cameos in the show like Dave Filoni has?
5. What is Dave Filoni like, and what was it like working with him?
1. Um. Sure.
In the broadest terms, we broke the stories together.
Writers went off and wrote outlines.
I edited the outlines.
I got notes on the outlines.
Writers went off and wrote scripts.
I edited the scripts.
I got notes on the scripts.
I revised the scripts.
We recorded the dialogue.
Design work, which began off of us breaking the stories above, continued with more specificity based on the scripts.
Storyboard artists began storyboarding based on the scripts and the dialogue tracks.
Directors turned the storyboards into animatics for review.
Animation was done overseas.
Footage came back, which was edited in post-production.
Music and effects were added.
There's way more to it than that, but that covers the basics.
2. I was the story editor on Season One. I also wrote a few of the episodes myself. And I even voiced a couple of Storm Troopers. As a producer, I was involved in casting, and many other aspects of the series. And I ran the writer's room where we broke the stories.
3. About a year.
5. Dave's great. We had a blast.