A Station Eight Fan Web Site
Displaying 1 record.
Hey Greg I'm a big fan of how the Martian race is depicted in YJ that they have a less human looking natural form, that they have less shared powers with Kryptonians and the world building for them.
1) If it's not a spoiler request when between seasons did Conner and Gar first meet M'gann's folks?
2) Did J'onn meet M'aatt before he got sent to Earth or after he first came back to Mars?
3) I couldn't help but notice how excited M'aatt looked when he spoke about building an alter with Conner. Am I right in guessing this was either the first time he got to do so or he didn't get to do this for a lot of his G'arrunn kids?
4)I'm admittedly not the most well read individual but I know enough pop culture to tell you guys drew on a lot of different inspirations for the Martian race and culture. What were the main influences?
5) Did M'gann have any other default forms between seasons before settling on the one in Phantoms?
1. Pretty soon after the end of Season Two.
3. I'm forced to answer No Spoilers to this.
4. There may have been fewer than you think, at least consciously. We made decisions back in Season One about what the Martian powers would be, what the Martian castes were and where Martians lived on Mars. As you noted, some of those decisions were made to differentiate Martians and Kryptonians. Brandon and I felt that when the Manhunter from Mars was first introduced, his species was quite distinctive. But over time - adding things like Martian vision, turning fire into his kryptonite, making him the last surviving Martian, etc. - he became a Superman knock-off. We also weren't fans of the idea that there was an entire Martian race that was just BORN EVIL!! So we made decisions that felt better for us. This season, we then extrapolated off those decisions to bring our version of M'arzz to life. I'm sure there were influences, including from DC Comics and Edgar Rice Burroughs and others, but they were less conscious for us. It was more about pushing forward on decisions we had already made.
5. No spoilers. But the answer is basically no.